The aims of this group is to bring diverse stakeholders together to explore a multiagency response to achieve its mission, creating awareness, understanding and engagement on climate change and biodiversity loss, achieving carbon neutrality, a sustainable just transition and green recovery, using the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a touchstone and One Planet Living Framework.
We are a group of PPN members and individuals with an interest in addressing environmental concerns in County Galway, in order to improve both people and planetary health and wellbeing, increasing happiness, resilience and sustainability for Galway Communities.
Our mission is to increase our community and ecosystems’ health and well-being by increasing awareness and engagement, setting out goals and ambitions for our community through initiating a regenerative and bioregional action plan, focusing on protecting the environment and fostering biodiversity, while taking action to sustainably support local, rural livelihoods and reducing carbon and green house gas emissions, and accessing the available funds to meet our climate targets.
Purpose: We aim to establish, drive and monitor action on climate change mitigation and adaptation, bio-regional regeneration and climate and social justice, such that effective action on each informs all local plans and policies, and to stimulate and enable local communities and organisations, public and private sectors to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and address ecosystems degradation and biodiversity loss.
We aim to establish
-A local community forum, meeting on a regular basis to plan and track progress towards a sustainable, resilient Galway and to influence policy, and make specific policy recommendations on a green recovery.
-A rolling regenerative action plan for a sustainable, resilient Galway in place and promoted.
-A positive community mapping scheme in place for community groups, companies and organisations taking steps to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and address biodiversity loss.
Weed Control Presentation to PPN August 21
LandUse Management Talk Series 2021 – delivered by Feidhlím Harty
- Week 1 – Introduction to Rewilding – Recording available here
- Week 2 – Food and Farming:
- Week 3 – Edible Landscaping in Urban Areas. Recording available here. .
- Week 4 – Watershed Management Recording available here
- Week 5 – Forestry and Trees.
- Week 6 – Overview of the Habitats of Co. Galway. Recording available here.
- Week 7 – Zero Waste Living. Recording available here:
Sustainable Living – Building Community & Climate Resilience 2022 – delivered by Alfred Decker
- WEEK 1 – Community Resilience, Sustainable Living, Permaculture ethics, principles, and theory. Recording available here: Part 1 and Part 2
- WEEK 2 – WATER. Recording available here: Rural Water and Urban Water
- WEEK 3 – SOIL . Recording available here: SOIL
- WEEK 4 – Gardening. Recording available here: Gardening
- WEEK 5 – Eco Construction & Architecture. Recording available here: Eco Construction & Architecture.
- WEEK 6 – Social Permaculture. Recording available here: Social Permaculture.
- WEEK 7 – Permaculture Design. Recording available here: Permaculture Design.
- WEEK 8 – The Future of Permaculture & Designing Your Life. Recording available here: The Future of Permaculture & Designing Your Life
The aim of this group is to address and support:
1) A Regenerative Green Recovery Plan for Galway communities aimed at all local stakeholders
2) Ensuring a strong focus on Community Resilience and Environmental Health as part of the Galway Well-being.
3) Exploring Community Health & Wellbeing, Rural Regeneration, Bio-Regionalism, Regenerative Culture, Local Livelihoods, Zero Carbon, Permaculture and AgroEcology, Sustainable Living, Doughnut Economics and the implementation of the SDGs
4) Identifying best practices during Covid-19 and Post Covid-19 that supports local bioregional regeneration and a sustainable circular economy and contributes to a ‘green’ recovery, including waste and pollution reduction.