Influencing Policy and decision making.
The members of Galway County PPN can influence policies and decision-making processes that affect them in two main ways.
First, they elect members of the PPN onto positions on County Council Committees. These members become PPN Representatives (Reps) on Committees and Boards.
This places them at the heart of decision-making structures in the Council. PPN representatives at these meetings are nominated and elected by the members of the PPN. At the particular committee they must represent the interests of the whole PPN. The PPN Reps receive training on how to represent the views of the PPN and prepare reports to inform the rest of the PPN of what happens at meetings.
The second way to ensure the voice of the community heard is by participating in consultations whenever the Council calls for input from the public. We will publicise those calls and invitations to the whole PPN.
The following is a list of the committees that Galway County PPN Members have been elected onto.
6 Strategic Committees in Galway County Council (SPC’s)
The Strategic Policy Committees provide a platform for input to the policy formation process at an early stage, for effective monitoring of existing policies and policy review.
It is the task of the SPC to advise and assist the Council in the development of policy, while the final policy decision will rest, ultimately, with the full Council.
- Housing Strategic Policy Committee
- Economic Development and Enterprise
- Planning, Environment, Agriculture & Emergency Services
- Transport & Infrastructure Strategic Policy Committee
- Community and Cultural Development Strategic Policy Committee
- Climate Change & Biodiversity Strategic Policy Committee
Please read the Strategic Policy Committee Scheme for information on how the SPC’s work: Adopted Strategic Policy Committee Scheme 2019-2024
Here is a full list of the SPC membership for the current term: Full SPC Membership 2019 – 2024
Other Committees and Boards with PPN Representation:
- Local Community & Development Committee (LCDC)
- Joint Policing Committee (JPC)
- Galway Sports Partnership (GSP)
- Galway Rural Development
- Older Persons Committee
- Childcare Committee
- Galway Education and Training Board
- Healthy Ireland
- Western Region Drugs & Alcohol Taskforce (WRDATF)
- Fisheries Local Action Group (FLAG)