6 Strategic Committees in Galway County Council (SPC’s)
The Strategic Policy Committees provide a forum in which the experience of relevant external bodies and groups can be shared.
They also enhance the role of the elected Councillor by providing a platform for input to the policy formation process at an early stage, for effective monitoring of existing policies and policy review.
It is the task of the Strategic Policy Committee to advise and assist the council in the development of policy, while the final policy decision will rest, ultimately, with the full Council.
The Strategic Policy Committee system is intended to give Councillors and relevant sectoral interests an opportunity for full involvement in the policy shaping process from the earliest stage.
- Housing Strategic Policy Committee
- Economic Development and Enterprise
- Planning, Environment, Agriculture & Emergency Services
- Transport & Infrastructure Strategic Policy Committee
- Community and Cultural Development Strategic Policy Committee
- Climate Change & Biodiversity Strategic Policy Committee
Please read the Strategic Policy Committee Scheme for information on how the SPC’s work: Adopted Strategic Policy Committee Scheme 2019-2024
Here is a full list of the SPC membership for the current term: Full SPC Membership 2019 – 2024