New Youth Climate Justice Fund available
Published: 27 April 2020
From: Department of Children and Youth Affairs
Minister Zappone has reminded national youth organisations that the deadline for applications to the new Youth Climate Justice Fund is 15 May.
Last month, the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Dr Katherine Zappone, announced the fund to support youth-led action and innovation on Climate Justice at community, regional and national level. The Youth Climate Justice Fund will total almost €500,000 in 2020, and is open to applications from all national youth organisations for initiatives being run in 2020.
For more information see here.
In its inaugural year, the Minister is mindful that the Fund must support initiatives which tackle the climate crisis while taking account of the COVID-19 crisis. While this is an added challenge, she notes the innovative spirit of young people and youth organisations and hopes that the Fund will harness that spirit.
Reflecting on the Fund, Minister Zappone said:
Applications to the Fund should propose projects which will achieve one, or more, of the following key goals or actions:
- raise climate justice awareness amongst young people
- educate youth groups and clubs on climate justice, including supporting development education organisations to work with young people
- empower young people to influence, effect and sustain local, regional or national climate justice change, creating dialogue with people outside of the youth sector
- deliver practical climate justice initiatives by young people in their communities, including supports to facilitate the participation of young people with fewer opportunities
- develop youth related activities to embed climate justice communications, network building and deliberative capacity that connects with, and leverages, local youth and community activities
- strengthen youth practitioner capacity to integrate climate justice education into their youth work practice
- participate in and influence local public and private policy formation aimed at environmentally sustainable development and management of climate action